DJ Sprinkles Midtown 120 Blues
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Mule Musiq
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
The comma of a warm, undulating chord wash, the semi-colon of a synthesized energy pulse; there are no full stops or harsh question marks imposed by the Balearic bounty of Midtown 120 Blues. I’d imagine that Sprinkles (a.k.a. ambient mastermind/raconteur Terre Thaemlitz) would see anything more than an ellipsis as vulgar within house music. And it’s within that open-ended territory that Midtown’s beauty lies. Where house went wrong, Thaemlitz seems to say, is in filling speakers with activity rather than possibilities. A track like “House Music is Controllable Desire You Can Own” is the kind of song that reminds us that house music subtly changed the world.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player