DJ Sprinkles Midtown 120 Blues
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Mule Musiq
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
The comma of a warm, undulating chord wash, the semi-colon of a synthesized energy pulse; there are no full stops or harsh question marks imposed by the Balearic bounty of Midtown 120 Blues. I’d imagine that Sprinkles (a.k.a. ambient mastermind/raconteur Terre Thaemlitz) would see anything more than an ellipsis as vulgar within house music. And it’s within that open-ended territory that Midtown’s beauty lies. Where house went wrong, Thaemlitz seems to say, is in filling speakers with activity rather than possibilities. A track like “House Music is Controllable Desire You Can Own” is the kind of song that reminds us that house music subtly changed the world.
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsDJ Sprinkles Plans Brief North American Tour
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsRoman Flügel Shares New Track from Upcoming LP
XLR8R Downloads Player