DJ T. Boogie Playground
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: Get Physical
Retro ain‘t a gimmick when done by Get Physical guy DJ T.-it‘s glorious, giddy fun. Building on the electro he loved as a kid and the acid house that fueled his DJ career, T. and production partners Booka Shade have whipped up a frothy, era-ignoring album of dance tracks. From the clicking breakbeat snippets and lurching, Unique 3-style synths vs. early Nightmares on Wax vocals of "Rave d‘Amour" to the Italo disco-indebted cowbells and handclaps of "Rimini Rimini Rimini," DJ T. plunders the past for grooves that just want to have fun, even if they might be forgotten (or sampled) next year. It all reaches a peak on "Rising," which begins as a simple tech-house groove with an insinuating vocal sample before gradually layering liquid keyboard lines and urgent, Chicago-jacking percussion into a shimmering dancefloor juggernaut. This is simple, devastating dance music, and damn good fun.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player