DJs On Strike! I'm So Happy!
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: DJs On Strike!
DJs On Strike! fired the salvo that the DJ is not your savior, but a mere editor of somebody else's sounds. So now what? Become what you condemned, and enjoy it. I'm So Happy! may be 2004's most half-assed concept record. Kurt Cobain's sarcastic elation in the first line of Nirvana's "Lithium" inspires the title of this 66-minute EP-39 minutes of it being "Silence" that ends with a "bing" nobody will wait to hear. The DJs concoct a roller disco party where Nirvana jams over "booty beats," which would've caused brawls at my junior high in '92. Sure, "Lithium" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" are seamlessly mashed-up, but none of it moves the soul-unless said soul is lubricated with six pints.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player