Does it Offend You, Yeah? You Have No Idea What You Are Getting Yourself Into
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: AlmostGold
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
Does the band name make any sense to you, yeah? Didn’t think so. It’s a Ricky Gervais quote from The Office (which doesn’t make it much better). But you’ll make sense of the music. It’s everybody’s favorite French electronica mixed with first- and second-generation post-punk from across the Channel. The vocoder hook on the cocaine sex jam “We Are Rockstars” is vintage Daft Punk, while “Battle Royale” references Justice’s anthemic synths. The phenomenal “Dawn of the Dead,” on the other hand, is the missing link between Duran Duran and Bloc Party, with its slappy bass and whiny guitar. Still, influences are just influences, and despite wearing them like a bad hangover, this Reading quartet makes for a hell of a night out.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player