Does it Offend You, Yeah? You Have No Idea What You Are Getting Yourself Into
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: AlmostGold
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
Does the band name make any sense to you, yeah? Didn’t think so. It’s a Ricky Gervais quote from The Office (which doesn’t make it much better). But you’ll make sense of the music. It’s everybody’s favorite French electronica mixed with first- and second-generation post-punk from across the Channel. The vocoder hook on the cocaine sex jam “We Are Rockstars” is vintage Daft Punk, while “Battle Royale” references Justice’s anthemic synths. The phenomenal “Dawn of the Dead,” on the other hand, is the missing link between Duran Duran and Bloc Party, with its slappy bass and whiny guitar. Still, influences are just influences, and despite wearing them like a bad hangover, this Reading quartet makes for a hell of a night out.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player