- Words: Liz Cordingley
- Label: Fat Cat
Imagine Mani as the soundtrack to a Jean-Pierre Jeunet film about Amelie's long-lost schizo sister. Artistic glitch action ripples over petite bits of cut-up instrumental sound like the flicker of Jeunet's cinematography, with surreal, abstract rhythms and melodies randomly popping out of the crackling ether. Three super-minimal piano tracks provide brief moments of stillness in the album's kinetic disorder. Producer Julien Loquet enlists the little-girl voice of Chloe Delaume, who personifies the album's folky timbre and classical madness. The work here is emotionally unnerving, but in sweet French ways that are more mysterious and heartrending than sinister.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player