- Words: Liz Cordingley
- Label: Fat Cat
Imagine Mani as the soundtrack to a Jean-Pierre Jeunet film about Amelie's long-lost schizo sister. Artistic glitch action ripples over petite bits of cut-up instrumental sound like the flicker of Jeunet's cinematography, with surreal, abstract rhythms and melodies randomly popping out of the crackling ether. Three super-minimal piano tracks provide brief moments of stillness in the album's kinetic disorder. Producer Julien Loquet enlists the little-girl voice of Chloe Delaume, who personifies the album's folky timbre and classical madness. The work here is emotionally unnerving, but in sweet French ways that are more mysterious and heartrending than sinister.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player