Dosh Wolves and Wishes
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Anticon
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Martin Luther King Chavez Dosh (his real name) has mastered the art of hyperactive layering through a series of cerebral and catchy experimental-beat records, starting with his self-titled debut and continuing here, where his dense, twitchy sound keeps its momentum without succumbing to entropy. The jittery beats and guitar on “If You Want to, You Have to” seem like they last forever, but the song retains its urgency throughout. The breakbeat xylophones and metal solos of “Don’t Wait For the Needle to Drop” are so precise they dissolve into ambient chillage in about three minutes. Even hushed orchestral interludes like “First Impossible” metamorphose into clockwork rhythms that will have you staring into space and saying, “My God, it’s full of stars.”
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player