Douglas Armour The Lights of a Golden Day, The Arms of the Night
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: The Social Registry
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
If you like to strain for satisfaction, Douglas Armour might be the dude for you. His sweet but barely audible voice has a hard time rising above the house music of “Trembling, on the Verge” or “Towards the Light.” His descending melodies in “Not An(Other) Love Song” are ambitious, but they lack the volume to stick in your chest. Even when his programmed dance music steps aside for his vocals, as on the winsome closer, “The Mystery It Never Lasts,” Armour keeps it too hushed to sway you. And that’s what dance music is supposed to do. An able debut, but one hopes his sophomore effort doesn’t slump as noticeably.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player