Dr. Dooom Dr. Dooom 2
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Threshold
- XLR8R Rating: 3/10
“I’m the god of rap/The lord of music,” spits Dr. Dooom (a.k.a. Kool Keith) on “I Followed You,” from his latest medically minded excursion. But his rich career has buckled considerably in recent years, tarnishing past grandeur with Ultramagnetic MCs and solo projects Doctor Octagon and Sex Style. Dr. Dooom 2 is plagued with verses that are lazy, not funny, and amount to nonsense. “RIP Dr. Octagon” and “How Sexy?” are rehashes of his past personas, while the album’s best cut, “Surgery” (with Motion Man) is a mediocre collab (Keith even gets out-rapped!). KutMasta Kurt’s basic keyboard beats are stale, especially when unaccompanied by strong vocals, making the entire release offensively bad–and embarrassing.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player