Dr. Dooom Dr. Dooom 2
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Threshold
- XLR8R Rating: 3/10
“I’m the god of rap/The lord of music,” spits Dr. Dooom (a.k.a. Kool Keith) on “I Followed You,” from his latest medically minded excursion. But his rich career has buckled considerably in recent years, tarnishing past grandeur with Ultramagnetic MCs and solo projects Doctor Octagon and Sex Style. Dr. Dooom 2 is plagued with verses that are lazy, not funny, and amount to nonsense. “RIP Dr. Octagon” and “How Sexy?” are rehashes of his past personas, while the album’s best cut, “Surgery” (with Motion Man) is a mediocre collab (Keith even gets out-rapped!). KutMasta Kurt’s basic keyboard beats are stale, especially when unaccompanied by strong vocals, making the entire release offensively bad–and embarrassing.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player