Dr. Dooom Dr. Dooom 2
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Threshold
- XLR8R Rating: 3/10
“I’m the god of rap/The lord of music,” spits Dr. Dooom (a.k.a. Kool Keith) on “I Followed You,” from his latest medically minded excursion. But his rich career has buckled considerably in recent years, tarnishing past grandeur with Ultramagnetic MCs and solo projects Doctor Octagon and Sex Style. Dr. Dooom 2 is plagued with verses that are lazy, not funny, and amount to nonsense. “RIP Dr. Octagon” and “How Sexy?” are rehashes of his past personas, while the album’s best cut, “Surgery” (with Motion Man) is a mediocre collab (Keith even gets out-rapped!). KutMasta Kurt’s basic keyboard beats are stale, especially when unaccompanied by strong vocals, making the entire release offensively bad–and embarrassing.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player