Dr. Octagon The Return of Dr. Octagon
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: OCD International
While some might decry Dan the Automator's lack of participation in the Octagonecologyst's resurrection, it's actually Berlin-based production unit One Watt Sun‘s eclectic beats that make this project worth paying attention to. Not that Kool Keith doesn't rise to the occasion; he delivers some of his best rhymes and most interesting concepts yet on this record (On "Trees," Keith, in his own aloof way, sounds genuinely concerned about deforestation and its effect on oxygen production). Much the same way The Automator‘s productions came out of left field in 1995, One Watt Sun's Gorillaz-meet-Chemical Brothers-in-a-carnival-freakshow beats sound different than anything you'll hear on a rap album this year. Of the three new Kool Keith LPs this summer, this is the one to cop."
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player