Dr. Octagon The Return of Dr. Octagon
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: OCD International
While some might decry Dan the Automator's lack of participation in the Octagonecologyst's resurrection, it's actually Berlin-based production unit One Watt Sun‘s eclectic beats that make this project worth paying attention to. Not that Kool Keith doesn't rise to the occasion; he delivers some of his best rhymes and most interesting concepts yet on this record (On "Trees," Keith, in his own aloof way, sounds genuinely concerned about deforestation and its effect on oxygen production). Much the same way The Automator‘s productions came out of left field in 1995, One Watt Sun's Gorillaz-meet-Chemical Brothers-in-a-carnival-freakshow beats sound different than anything you'll hear on a rap album this year. Of the three new Kool Keith LPs this summer, this is the one to cop."
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsHear Seven Davis Jr Remix Martyn
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
XLR8R Downloads Player