Dual Control Left or Right
- Words: Jennifer Marston
- Label: Grand Central
Genre seems both unrecognizable and pointless to debate on the debut album from Manchester duo Phil Styles and Mike Ball, though it does prompt the question of how exactly these 12 tracks fit together. Can funky jazz and brassy horns work next to sharp beats? Should soft guitar lulls criss-cross with technical scratching? Judging by the album title, maybe Left or Right means to pull in two different directions, as the technical is paired with the melodic, and traditional instruments trade off with experimental blips and tweaks. A little of this and a little of that may be inconsistent, but it makes for not too shabby of a first album.
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player