Dub Pistols Speakers and Tweeters
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Planetary
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Let’s just say it, already: The Dub Pistols’ remake of Blondie’s “Rapture,” featuring Terry Hall (of The Specials), rocks. It’s a perfect example of a dancefloor classic revived; with thumping kicks, power chords, and a slight dub treatment, it’s just as capable of rocking a party in 2008 as in 1980. “Cruise Control” (which subtly interpolates Bambaataa’s “Planet Rock”) is nearly as dope, as is the title track. The rest of Speakers and Tweeters is a bit of a mixed bag. U.K. sound-lads Barry Ashworth and Jason O’Bryan have production chops for days, but their rhymes are nothing spectacular. At least they don’t disturb the Pistols’ groove (which swerves from uptempo electro to downtempo reggae), but it’s a bit telling that the tracks featuring guests Hall, Rodney P, and Blade shine most brightly.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player