Dub Pistols Speakers and Tweeters
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Planetary
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Let’s just say it, already: The Dub Pistols’ remake of Blondie’s “Rapture,” featuring Terry Hall (of The Specials), rocks. It’s a perfect example of a dancefloor classic revived; with thumping kicks, power chords, and a slight dub treatment, it’s just as capable of rocking a party in 2008 as in 1980. “Cruise Control” (which subtly interpolates Bambaataa’s “Planet Rock”) is nearly as dope, as is the title track. The rest of Speakers and Tweeters is a bit of a mixed bag. U.K. sound-lads Barry Ashworth and Jason O’Bryan have production chops for days, but their rhymes are nothing spectacular. At least they don’t disturb the Pistols’ groove (which swerves from uptempo electro to downtempo reggae), but it’s a bit telling that the tracks featuring guests Hall, Rodney P, and Blade shine most brightly.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- NewsAlias Announces New LP for Anticon, Drops Free EP
XLR8R Downloads Player