Dub Trio Another Sound Is Dying
- Words: David Katz
- Label: Ipecac
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
With each new release, Dub Trio squelches dub closer to the vanishing point. Their 2004 live debut showcased the band’s ability to meld dub elements into hardcore punk and nu-metal; last year’s studio disc, New Heavy, saw them charging away from King Tubby, reaching obliquely for Bad Brains’ and Killing Joke’s power chords. Although Another Sound Is Dying continues to head largely in the same direction, the trio’s ability to chop and paste various musical forms see a resultant hybrid ultimately transcending category. Indeed, they manage to reference Black Flag and the Butthole Surfers whilst injecting the proceedings with healthy doses of moody bass and the occasional echoing skank interlude, making the album equally challenging and tantalizing.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player