The Early Years The Early Years
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Beggars Banquet
London's The Early Years loves Neu!-specifically "Hallogallo." And why not? It's the most perfectly realized sonic encapsulation of graceful movement ever. The Early Years' self-titled debut uses that paean to smooth propulsion as its default mode, but other facets emerge, too. They show a predilection for mellow slide-guitar sighs and sincere balladry, like Spiritualized at their most pensive, as well as soulful drone dirges á la Spirit of Eden-era Talk Talk. When they're not in headlong motorik mode, The Early Years tends to descend-and ascend-into sentimentality and bombast. Nevertheless, this disc reveals a potentially great epic rock band.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player