Edan Beauty and the Beat
- Words: Nick Follett
- Label: Lewis
Drawing a link between the psych-folk of Pearls Before Swine and the fast rap of Percee P is a formidable challenge. Beauty and the Beat, the impossibly ambitious sophomore release from Edan, amalgamates these two genres with deft symmetry while maintaining an album-wise cohesion. Moving away from the heavy Marley Marl beats that dominated his debut-and distancing himself from the self-appointed moniker "the Quincy Jones of lo-fi"-his production now resembles the sonic assault of Phil Spector or the foreboding doom of David Axelrod. Earnest and reverential encyclopedic odes to hip-hop and prog rock act as an anti-"Losing My Edge." As psychedelic as Mythos, and as unrelenting as the UltraMagnetic MCs, Edan is a master in possession of his own style, both lyrically and production-wise. Simply put, this is one of the best and most original records to come out this decade.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsHear Dntel's Upcoming LP for Leaving/Stones Throw
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player