Efdemin Carry On, Pretend We're Not in the Room
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Curle
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It isn’t a loud, flashy collection, but DJ/producer Philip Sollman’s debut mix CD as Efdemin is understated, precisely tuned, and worthy of your attention. Early on, Sollmann combines pulsing synths and crisp rhythms that don’t stray far from house’s elemental heartbeat. Showcasing his characteristic blend of minimal and offbeat house, he expertly pairs the squiggly flourishes of Craig Alexander’s “Soul Revival” with the undertow of Scott Grooves’ “Only 500,” and smoothly transitions from the militant rumble of Dettman & Klock’s “Blank Scenario” to the off-key strings and washout of Pigon’s “Kamm.” In some ways, he stakes his claim in a gray area between styles, but this imaginative mix is anything but colorless.
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- MP3Juan Ramos "The Mariner"
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player