Efdemin Carry On, Pretend We're Not in the Room
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Curle
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It isn’t a loud, flashy collection, but DJ/producer Philip Sollman’s debut mix CD as Efdemin is understated, precisely tuned, and worthy of your attention. Early on, Sollmann combines pulsing synths and crisp rhythms that don’t stray far from house’s elemental heartbeat. Showcasing his characteristic blend of minimal and offbeat house, he expertly pairs the squiggly flourishes of Craig Alexander’s “Soul Revival” with the undertow of Scott Grooves’ “Only 500,” and smoothly transitions from the militant rumble of Dettman & Klock’s “Blank Scenario” to the off-key strings and washout of Pigon’s “Kamm.” In some ways, he stakes his claim in a gray area between styles, but this imaginative mix is anything but colorless.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- NewsGroundislava Details Upcoming LP for Friends of Friends
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player