Efdemin Carry On, Pretend We're Not in the Room
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Curle
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It isn’t a loud, flashy collection, but DJ/producer Philip Sollman’s debut mix CD as Efdemin is understated, precisely tuned, and worthy of your attention. Early on, Sollmann combines pulsing synths and crisp rhythms that don’t stray far from house’s elemental heartbeat. Showcasing his characteristic blend of minimal and offbeat house, he expertly pairs the squiggly flourishes of Craig Alexander’s “Soul Revival” with the undertow of Scott Grooves’ “Only 500,” and smoothly transitions from the militant rumble of Dettman & Klock’s “Blank Scenario” to the off-key strings and washout of Pigon’s “Kamm.” In some ways, he stakes his claim in a gray area between styles, but this imaginative mix is anything but colorless.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player