Efdemin Carry On, Pretend We're Not in the Room
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Curle
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It isn’t a loud, flashy collection, but DJ/producer Philip Sollman’s debut mix CD as Efdemin is understated, precisely tuned, and worthy of your attention. Early on, Sollmann combines pulsing synths and crisp rhythms that don’t stray far from house’s elemental heartbeat. Showcasing his characteristic blend of minimal and offbeat house, he expertly pairs the squiggly flourishes of Craig Alexander’s “Soul Revival” with the undertow of Scott Grooves’ “Only 500,” and smoothly transitions from the militant rumble of Dettman & Klock’s “Blank Scenario” to the off-key strings and washout of Pigon’s “Kamm.” In some ways, he stakes his claim in a gray area between styles, but this imaginative mix is anything but colorless.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player