- Words: Cameron Octigan
- Label: Dial
Berlin-based musician and Panoramabar resident Phillip Sollmann (a.k.a. Efdemin) finally releases his eponymous debut album, giving Dial–a label that thrills more than it thuds–one the best records of the year. An understated elegance and focus on sound production over dance induction is true to the label's sound, and it's prevalent here. "Lohn & Brot" has quickly become an underground and internet sensation with its organ-like melody and quietly over-driven bassline that pulls the listener through a series of soft highlights. "Bergwein" is the track that stands out, with its cautious, atmospheric, acid tones peppering sampled instrumentation. If you value your headphones, you need this disc.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player