Efterklang Under Giant Trees
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: Leaf
Danish 10-piece Efterklang continues to tread nature-inspired post-classical territory on their third outing for Leaf, the aptly titled Under Giant Trees. Flitting from major to minor keys, as if in constant dialogue with itself, the album finds tracks like the splendorous "Falling Horses" and the almost playfully melancholy "Towards the Bare Hills" chafing against the ambivalent moodiness of "Himmelbjerget." Each composition is as majestic as the last, whether relying on the sweeping elegance of Rachel's, the child-like coyness and wide-eyed tenacity of Múm, or the sort of broad classical strokes that wouldn't sound out of place on a Godspeed record. A mighty, thoughtful offering of Morr-inspired chamber pop for the post-apocalyptic set.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player