Einstürzende Neubauten Alles Wieder Offen
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Potomak
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
These industrial-rock mavericks made the political wasteland of West Berlin sing loud and proud during the Cold War. Maybe it’s middle age or the fact that junk-metal has limited musical value, but our mensches sound awfully mellow here. They drop art terrorism in favor of ballads for long winter nights sung in Blixa Bargeld’s gruff baritone. But not everything is fit for a church basement dance. “Die Wellen” takes a stroll from Eden to Hades through a pounding piano chord and Bargeld’s growing frustration, and “Let’s Do It a Dada” briefly falls into a carnival-esque riot of noise. Sadly, the band’s energy runs on fumes in too many mellow grooves–getting scarily close to Broadway schmaltz.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player