Ekkehard Ehlers A Life Without Fear
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Staubgold
Can a German white man in the mid-'00s justifiably play the blues? He can if he's Ekkehard Ehlers (see his successful 2002 nod to Robert Johnson). Actually, the minimalist producer doesn't so much play the blues (he has a skillful band to do that, including guitarist/balafonist Joseph Suchy) as mutate them through processors and amps. Ehlers obviously reveres the blues' ability to convey powerful feelings through the barest means. A Life Without Fear is his and Suchy's tribute to the genre, 10 tracks that capture its consoling lugubriousness and stark spirituality while subtly tinkering with its sonic DNA. Even blues purists may be moved to tears.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player