El-P Collecting The Kid
- Words: DJ Anna
- Label: Def Jux
In an effort to tide us over until the release of his next full-length, El-P throws us a bone with this mish-mash of unreleased tracks. The mostly instrumental collection seems a little hastily thrown together, but contains plenty of the heavy beats and moody themes that are El's trademark. Two rapper-less tracks stand out: a revamped "Leaving This Place" from Mr. Lif's album is fully realized, and a discarded Cannibal Ox track called "Feel Like A Ghost" is a dreamy and soulful slice of minimalism. Elsewhere, El-P dabbles in sexy electro ("Constellation Remix"), jazz ("Intrigue in The House of India"), and psych-rock ("Oxycontin" featuring Camu Tao). But while Collecting the Kid may satiate some fans, it's no replacement for his next master work.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player