Eliot Lipp Tacoma Mockingbird
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: Hefty
So much instrumental hip hop just goes up in smoke - not so with Eliot Lipp‘s second album. Tacoma Mockingbird has beats that stick to the ribs, crispy fried snares and bass drum booms thick like gravy, and it has melodies that twine in the mind, uncoiling analog tendrils that will tickle days after the last spin. Lipp is one of the few producers who can write keyboard lines with hooks as huge as any sample - check the squirming lead of "Rap Tight" (which also features an excellent stuttered breakdown) or the tension between the pop-locking synths and their three-note backing figure on "Sex Tapes." Even when Lipp lifts a beat ("Vallejo" is a dead ringer for Massive Attack‘s "Five Man Army" - who probably stole it from someone else) he makes it his own with a heady electro sheen that doesn‘t lose it‘s luster, even after repeated listens.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player