Ellen Allien Remix Collection
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: Asphodel
Berlin-based techno songstress Ellen Allien seems simultaneously in love with the sonics of experimental electronic-the clicks and the crunches, the scrapes and the scrunches-and the form and frameworks of pop music. Delightfully, the producer/DJ manages to have her cake and eat it, creating the former from the palette of the latter. Her self-explanatory Remix Collection showcases her astute skill in managing this process, filtering tracks by the likes of Sascha Funke, Gold Chains and Covenant through the Allien aesthetic. The delightful collection's sleeve shows branches of a tree feeding to and from Allien's body, which could be a metaphor for the results of her remixing: The new versions are akin to mutant hybrids, their origins readily identifiable back to the originals, but also to Allien herself.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player