Ellen Allien Thrills
- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: BPitch Control
Moodier and darker than 2003‘s Berlinette, Thrills maintains Allien‘s position as a point person for techno‘s ever-evolving sound. Again she contributes vocals-on "Your Body Is My Body," where a spidery texture and ghostly gurgles travel the empty spaces, and "Down," where an electro break is hijacked by a decidedly feminist chant. Sans beat, dreamy rocker "Naked Rain" could enter the Pop Ambient realm, as it-like most of Thrills-is propelled by the sentimental melody at its heart. While not all the tracks are as strong, each benefits from Allien‘s humanistic touch. Recalling Richard Brautigan‘s 1968 poem, her work seems informed by machines of loving grace.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Robert Hood, Tycho, Jacques Greene, and More
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player