Ellen Allien Watergate 05
Ellen Allien and Berlin clubbing institution Watergate have had a long relationship, so it's disappointing that her entry in their mix series is such a dud. Watergate 05 may begin in familiar territory—the icy, emotive techno of DJ Yellow and John Tejada have typically been her bread and butter—but soon we're thrown into everything from wobbly bass to bongo-laden micro-house to second-rate electro. The mixing is jarring, the pacing erratic. Watergate 05 has its moments—a transition from Matias Aguayo's bizarro "Bo Jack" to Alexi Delano's "Molar One" is flawless, but it's a rare delight. In trying to honor a diverse set of sounds, Allien has failed to do any of them justice.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsMelé Announces New EP, Streams Title Track
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player