Elmore Judd Angel Sound
- Words: Steve Nickolls
- Label: Above The Clouds
Elmore Judd-otherwise known as UK producer Jesse Hackett-steps up to the plate currently occupied by the likes of Slum Village, PPP, and SA-RA, possessing a similar ability to balance sleazy, grimy P-funk, spiky hip-hop rhythms, and silken smooth soul. That said, this is no mere imitation of his sonic US cousins-there is something indefinably British about this, with echoes of The Specials, Roots Manuva, and New Flesh in its often spooky urban skank. Perhaps there is a little too much reliance on a minimalist electro sound palette, but there‘s plenty of potential here to get excited about.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player