- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Temporary Residence
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Previously known for his balance of guitar-washed drone and ambient noise, Matthew Cooper's Eluvium project shows maturation through controlled simplicity on Copia. Without guitars, the record lends a sense of timelessness to Eluvium's pastoral pieces. At times, as on "Prelude for Time Feelers," his work surpasses his peers', achieving a level of sincerity on par with composers like Arvo Pärt. Even less structured tracks, like "Seeing You Off the Edges," are clear and intentional. By subtracting layers and letting his compositions stand on their own, Matthew Cooper has created a profound and lasting record.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- ReviewFantastic Mr Fox "You Turn"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Caribou, Todd Terje, Gerd Janson, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player