Eric Lau New Territories
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Ubiquity
All the tags for the music that Londoner Eric Lau makes sound contrived: future funk, nu-soul, beat-head jazz–none of these really captures Lau’s confident, cool essence. Sure, artists like Jay Dee, Waajeed, and SA-RA are Lau’s creative cousins, but the 26-year-old beatmaker blazes his own trails via rich, song-based vocal numbers and sweet, spacious instrumentals. New Territories bubbles with optimism, illustrated on “Time Will Tell,” which is buoyed by Bobbi Humphrey-style flute licks and singer Sariah Leah’s hopeful messages. Lau has produced beats for Lupe Fiasco, Georgia Anne Muldrow, and Wildchild, but refreshingly it’s U.K. locals Tawaih, Rahel, and Sariah whose vocals light up his crisp, no-nonsense soul beats.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player