Eric Lau New Territories
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Ubiquity
All the tags for the music that Londoner Eric Lau makes sound contrived: future funk, nu-soul, beat-head jazz–none of these really captures Lau’s confident, cool essence. Sure, artists like Jay Dee, Waajeed, and SA-RA are Lau’s creative cousins, but the 26-year-old beatmaker blazes his own trails via rich, song-based vocal numbers and sweet, spacious instrumentals. New Territories bubbles with optimism, illustrated on “Time Will Tell,” which is buoyed by Bobbi Humphrey-style flute licks and singer Sariah Leah’s hopeful messages. Lau has produced beats for Lupe Fiasco, Georgia Anne Muldrow, and Wildchild, but refreshingly it’s U.K. locals Tawaih, Rahel, and Sariah whose vocals light up his crisp, no-nonsense soul beats.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player