Eric Lau New Territories
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Ubiquity
All the tags for the music that Londoner Eric Lau makes sound contrived: future funk, nu-soul, beat-head jazz–none of these really captures Lau’s confident, cool essence. Sure, artists like Jay Dee, Waajeed, and SA-RA are Lau’s creative cousins, but the 26-year-old beatmaker blazes his own trails via rich, song-based vocal numbers and sweet, spacious instrumentals. New Territories bubbles with optimism, illustrated on “Time Will Tell,” which is buoyed by Bobbi Humphrey-style flute licks and singer Sariah Leah’s hopeful messages. Lau has produced beats for Lupe Fiasco, Georgia Anne Muldrow, and Wildchild, but refreshingly it’s U.K. locals Tawaih, Rahel, and Sariah whose vocals light up his crisp, no-nonsense soul beats.
- MP3GL "Won't You See (Gerd Janson Dub Mix)"
- NewsWolfgang Voigt Pays Tribute to the Roland 303 for Kompakt's 303rd Release
- NewsLeon Vynehall Shares Mesmerizing New Video, Announces North American Tour
- NewsGhostly Artists Soundtrack Upcoming Videogame; Hear New Tracks from Shigeto, Matthew Dear, and More
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- Record Store Week: Co-Op 87
XLR8R Downloads Player