Erick Morillo Subliminal Sesssions 5
- Words: Chris Orr
- Label: Subliminal
On the fifth installment of this label's mix series, Subliminal owner Morillo pulls out some old-school business and mixes it up with some new stuff. Morillo's emphasis is definitely on moving the floor, and any mix that kicks off with "Relight My Fire" by Dan Hartman is welcome, especially when it's followed by Jeanette Thomas's crucial jack track "Shake Your Body." However, the current penchant for all things acid-tinged and old-school in the house realm only amplifies the fact that the music form hasn't really moved on that much since the mid-'90s, and a comparison of Morillo's choice of new tunes to the classics really brings this home. Thumbs up for the classics-heavy selection, but some of us want to move forward.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player