Erick Morillo Subliminal Sesssions 5
- Words: Chris Orr
- Label: Subliminal
On the fifth installment of this label's mix series, Subliminal owner Morillo pulls out some old-school business and mixes it up with some new stuff. Morillo's emphasis is definitely on moving the floor, and any mix that kicks off with "Relight My Fire" by Dan Hartman is welcome, especially when it's followed by Jeanette Thomas's crucial jack track "Shake Your Body." However, the current penchant for all things acid-tinged and old-school in the house realm only amplifies the fact that the music form hasn't really moved on that much since the mid-'90s, and a comparison of Morillo's choice of new tunes to the classics really brings this home. Thumbs up for the classics-heavy selection, but some of us want to move forward.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player