Eugene Blacknell We Can't Take Life for Granted
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Luv N' Haight
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
It took a hell of a lot more than genius to "make it" in the music biz of the '60s. To have been a brilliant guitarist, effortlessly crossing from driving R&B to deep-funk workouts and every style in between, was no assurance of success-storied soul also-rans comprise entire crate-digging genres. Yet, as the first-ever compilation of his work shows, the late Eugene Blacknell's semi-obscurity seems particularly harsh. Boiling over with funky fervor and grit, everything from heavily sampled 45s ("The Trip"; Beck's favorite, "We Know We Have to Live Together") to the never-released title track seems as fresh and alive today as it ever was.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player