Eugene Blacknell We Can't Take Life for Granted
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Luv N' Haight
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
It took a hell of a lot more than genius to "make it" in the music biz of the '60s. To have been a brilliant guitarist, effortlessly crossing from driving R&B to deep-funk workouts and every style in between, was no assurance of success-storied soul also-rans comprise entire crate-digging genres. Yet, as the first-ever compilation of his work shows, the late Eugene Blacknell's semi-obscurity seems particularly harsh. Boiling over with funky fervor and grit, everything from heavily sampled 45s ("The Trip"; Beck's favorite, "We Know We Have to Live Together") to the never-released title track seems as fresh and alive today as it ever was.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player