Eugene Blacknell We Can't Take Life for Granted
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Luv N' Haight
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
It took a hell of a lot more than genius to "make it" in the music biz of the '60s. To have been a brilliant guitarist, effortlessly crossing from driving R&B to deep-funk workouts and every style in between, was no assurance of success-storied soul also-rans comprise entire crate-digging genres. Yet, as the first-ever compilation of his work shows, the late Eugene Blacknell's semi-obscurity seems particularly harsh. Boiling over with funky fervor and grit, everything from heavily sampled 45s ("The Trip"; Beck's favorite, "We Know We Have to Live Together") to the never-released title track seems as fresh and alive today as it ever was.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player