Exercise One In Cars We Rust
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Mobilee
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Retrofitting the results of jam sessions and distilling them into bracing minimal beats, Marco Freivogel and Ingo Gansera create lively, long-form riffs on techno. In Cars We Rust doesn’t meddle with jazz or big beat, instead trafficking in cold, metallic shades of sound and crisp percussion. “It’s Happening Again” grinds through build-ups and breakdowns, a buzzing melody creeps across the slightly dissociative “Drunken Tinman,” and “1994” contains a downtempo shuffle and bubbly synths that almost recall a sedated take on “Rez.” The live studio concept allows the duo to quickly pivot within songs or play around with rhythms, making a convincing case that these producers need to be seen live.
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsListen to Bodhi's New Single for Ten Thousand Yen
XLR8R Downloads Player