Extra Golden Hera Ma Nono
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Thrill Jockey
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
In a world both globalized and rife with xenophobia, some musicians need a visa just to rehearse. Such is the case with Extra Golden, the musical handshake between a few D.C. indie rockers and Kenyan benga musicians that was nearly buried with singer and co-founder Otieno Jagwasi's death in 2005. But Extra Golden's concept was, perhaps, too perfect to end: Kenyan dance rhythms injected with indie-guitar sensibilities. Hera Ma Nono proves they were right to soldier on. On "I Miss You," for example, the weeping steel guitar meshes seamlessly with its sparkling hi-life counterparts. Hera Ma Nono ("Love in Vain") is as culturally appreciative and exciting a cross of two cultures you'll hear this year.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player