Extra Golden Ok-Oyot System
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Thrill Jockey
It would be easy to dismiss this collaboration between Washington, DC indie rockers Golden and Kenyan musician Otieno Jagwosi as overly academic world music. It was, after all, brought about by Golden member Ian Egleston's doctoral research into benga, a dance-y, electric guitar-driven Kenyan folk music. It's worthwhile to resist such a dismissal, however: The collaboration produced some very lively and unique-sounding tracks. While a pair of songs that the Golden boys penned before the trip ("It‘s Not Easy," "Tussin‘ and Fightin‘") sound like standard boogie rock tunes, the points where the two groups meet each other half way ("Ok-Oyot System," "Ilando Gima Onge") are musically challenging and resonate with rich, emotional overtones.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player