The Faint Fasciinatiion
- Words: Connie Hwong
- Label: Blank.Wav
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
The Omaha five-piece commemorates its first self-released work (and fifth studio album) with Fasciinatiion, which figuratively serves as a retrospective of their Saddle Creek-era material. Fasciinatiion hews closely to the themes previously explored over the band's 10-year history: sex, death, and (re)birth. While filled with shout-outs to the masochistic nihilism of Blank-Wave Arcade ("The Geeks Were Right") and the minimalist, pensive songwriting from Wet From Birth ("Fulcrum and Lever"), the record never fully achieves the ecstatic gothic synth glory of Danse Macabre. Instead, the group favors a more delicate approach to keyboard and melody, offering a few blompy nods to spazz-rock (a la We Are Scientists), and a few chugging, bass-heavy numbers for the dancefloor.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player