Fairmont Coloured in Memory
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Border Community
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Perhaps spurred by the 25th anniversary of Blade Runner (and yet another Italo resurgence), there seems to be a hint of string machines in a wave of antigravity electronica. Fairmont’s Jacob Fairley certainly seems to have a thing for ascending synths and other glassy progressions. Canadian Fairley also has a thing for plinks as much as melodic pads, marking these 12 tracks as quasi-minimal, flickering with some uneasy lullaby influence from Boards of Canada. On the standout “I Need Medicine” multi-tracked voices go through pitch-shift palpitations, and arpeggios herald the arrival of churning sub-bass. Fairmont isn’t as granular or spindly as his labelmates, opting instead for slap-back reverberations to prog-infused set pieces.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player