Fanny Pack So Stylistic
- Words: Jon Weldon
- Label: Tommy Boy
A stroll through Brooklyn these days belies its reputation as a hotbed for furious creativity as Fabolous's 50-cent commercial rap is about all anyone hears. But even in the bleakest of moments, the blast hits from unexpected angles, threatening to shake up the tedium and conjure up a new Brooklyn. Fanny Pack charmingly replaces gun talk with fun talk, bling with boom. Three girls rap in clear, unassuming Brooklyn-speak about life on the block as big- booty electro bounce straight from the old-skool South backs them up. Tunes like the hilarious "Cameltoe" and the self-reflexive "Hey Mami" delight in raw, carefree verses while "Things" takes a familiar melody and runs through all the things a Brooklyn girl loves. Three girls and two guys combine to form a mighty local representation that's as loose as it is unpolished, as new as it is retro, and as welcome as it is brilliant.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player