Farmer’s Market Surfin’ USSR
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Ipecac
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
While the Gypsy scene in the States has been steadily growing, Europe’s faction has been not-so-quietly exploding over the past decade. Finland’s Farmer’s Market is one such band, who takes Balkan, jazz, and punk and throws in a touch of surf rock for laughs. Indeed this is music to be laughed at, and danced to. Their playing is fierce and phenomenal; it’s no surprise Surfin’ USSR is on Mike Patton’s Ipecac label, given the similar sonic motifs of Mr. Bungle. There aren’t many places to find an accordion being played like a guitar god’s hammer before the sounds of a Bulgarian school dance (with tablas, mind you) arrive unannounced. Strange wares for any market.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player