Fat Freddy's Drop Based on A True Story
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Quango
Having broken New Zealand's record for most weeks atop the sales chart, Based on a True Story finally reaches US shores. FFD, led by the soulful Joe Dukie, taps into an appealing form of bluesy, reggae-inspired, lengthy songwriting: rare considering what constitutes popular music. The hypnotic swing of basslines and keyboard stabs immediately draws the ear in. The further combination of live horns, a remarkable drummer, and a DJ round out a sound somewhere between Motown-era funk and modern soul. When Dukie poetically declares "We do it for the love of music," there's no fiction in sight.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player