Faust C’est Com… Com… Compliqué
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Bureau B
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Faust is one of the few groups that can endure for nearly four decades without suffering serious creative stagnation. Excelling at hypnotic repetition and ruptured, Dadaist collage, at gently beautiful ballads and apocalyptic abrasiveness, these Krautrock mavericks have built a uniquely riveting canon. For C’est Com… Com… Compliqué, guitarist Amaury Cambuzat of the French group Ulan Bator joins original bassist Jean-Hervé Peron and drummer Werner “Zappi” Diermaier for a surprisingly strong effort. The prevalent mode here is percussion-heavy drone rock that ranges from delicate and melismatic to gnarly and sulfuric. Tangents like an eerie Tuvan throat-singing exercise (“Stimmen”) and a sentimental French ballad (“Petits Sons Appétissants”) mildly stray from the norm, but Faust’s strength remains their turbulently eventful trance-outs.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player