Felix da Housecat Virgo Blaktro & the Movie Disco
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Nettwerk
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Chicago don Felix da Housecat has always grasped the fantasy of clubs and club music. His 2002 album, Kittenz and Thee Glitz, soundtracked a Berlin/Studio 54-style fantasy, and he’s kept that same dirty, electronic-disco feel here, though he also draws on soul and funk masters like Prince and Parliament and contemporaries like Daft Punk for a sound that’s simultaneously retro and modern–and sexy (the lead single is, after all, entitled “Something 4 Porno”). The tracks work well enough individually, but this is definitely an album, a coherent statement that progresses from song to song, despite the occasional misstep (the tedious “Radio”). Now someone just needs to make the movie to match the music.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player