Fennesz Black Sea
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Touch
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
For every inner child that fantasized about harnessing the power of telekinesis, the electrostatic flutter and wow of Austria’s Christian Fennesz grips tightly with seemingly no origin. Over the course of five full-length studio albums, Fennesz has clarified his command of sonic accidents, fining and refining the harmonic castoff of his acoustic guitar and keyboards. In stark contrast to 2004’s Venice, its pop filigree braided from semi-directed transients and maws of static, Black Sea feels ever more disassociated, yet maintains an affecting heft. Far less centered on the granular residue of individual note strikes, these eight tracks are topped by a head of aerated reverb that gradually crowns with subtle melodies. Without a single punch, it leaves you breathless.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player