Fennesz Black Sea
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Touch
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
For every inner child that fantasized about harnessing the power of telekinesis, the electrostatic flutter and wow of Austria’s Christian Fennesz grips tightly with seemingly no origin. Over the course of five full-length studio albums, Fennesz has clarified his command of sonic accidents, fining and refining the harmonic castoff of his acoustic guitar and keyboards. In stark contrast to 2004’s Venice, its pop filigree braided from semi-directed transients and maws of static, Black Sea feels ever more disassociated, yet maintains an affecting heft. Far less centered on the granular residue of individual note strikes, these eight tracks are topped by a head of aerated reverb that gradually crowns with subtle melodies. Without a single punch, it leaves you breathless.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player