Fennesz Field Recordings 1995-2002
- Words: Susanna Bolle
- Label: Touch
A compilation of Fennesz's past work released in the wake of last year's masterful Endless Summer, the Austrian guitarist's paean to '60s surf culture might seem destined to disappoint. But, thankfully, destiny isn't everything, and Field Recordings is a first-rate collection of vintage Fennesz in all his hazy, fuzzed out glory. The disc collects unreleased and previously released pieces from various compilations and EPs. And yet, it remains remarkably cohesive even as it plots the disparate points in Fennesz's musical career, from the relatively early series of "Instrument" 12-inches to his most recent work, a quite glorious remix of Stefan Mathieu's "Codeine." There's nary a dud on this excellent retrospective, with the notable exception of "Namewithnohorse" from Ash International's Krev X, which-unexpectedly-goes nowhere fast.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player