Fennesz Field Recordings 1995-2002
- Words: Susanna Bolle
- Label: Touch
A compilation of Fennesz's past work released in the wake of last year's masterful Endless Summer, the Austrian guitarist's paean to '60s surf culture might seem destined to disappoint. But, thankfully, destiny isn't everything, and Field Recordings is a first-rate collection of vintage Fennesz in all his hazy, fuzzed out glory. The disc collects unreleased and previously released pieces from various compilations and EPs. And yet, it remains remarkably cohesive even as it plots the disparate points in Fennesz's musical career, from the relatively early series of "Instrument" 12-inches to his most recent work, a quite glorious remix of Stefan Mathieu's "Codeine." There's nary a dud on this excellent retrospective, with the notable exception of "Namewithnohorse" from Ash International's Krev X, which-unexpectedly-goes nowhere fast.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player