Fennesz & Sakamoto Cendre
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Touch
On Cendre, Christian Fennesz plants a forest for composer Ryuichi Sakamoto to get lost in. The Austrian fuzz abstractionist sets down his usual bed of serene guitar and digital noise that fogs the air while Sakamoto's piano melodies delicately fall into the ether. Ambient artists may have trod similar ground in the past, but there are still sublime moments. Fennesz draws most of the attention-his vivid timbres prick the skin like dusk sunlight on "Kokoro," and his guitar drones walk skyward on "Amorph." The only weakness is that Sakamoto's loud piano sometimes intrudes on Fennesz's soft ambient backgrounds. Still, Cendre is a fine soundtrack for watching the day end.
- GearThis Week in Music Tech: Mike Huckaby's Ableton Masterclass, In the Studio with Gregor Tresher and Ziro, and More
- NewsPaul Johnson, Jerome LOL, Untold, The Gaslamp Killer, and More Added to Together 2014
- MP3Alcides "Violeta (El Remolón Remix)"
- MP3Arp "White Light"
- MP3Copywrite "Forever and a Day"
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
- Hi-Five - DJ Q Reminisces About His Five Favorite UK Garage Bootlegs
XLR8R Downloads Player