Fiona Renshaw Love In a Bubble
- Words: Joe Rice
- Label: Laws of Motion-Sirkus
With a hot-asphalt delivery that sounds like she could be the offspring of Janis Joplin and Joe Cocker, Fiona Renshaw spins tales of mourned love and unrequited desire that range from quiet lament to palpable anger. "Through the Day" stands out, as Renshaw's cloudy river of a voice is offset by plaintive, soulful synth lines in one of the few tracks that don't follow a strictly acoustic blueprint (is this what broken folk sounds like?). Johnny Cole's production wisely stays out of her way, with strings and oboe providing effective counterpoint, throwing a mosaic of shadows, and only occasionally (as on "Kiss Me") becoming too overwrought.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player