Flying Lotus 1983
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Plug Research
Flying Lotus is the great-nephew of the sainted Alice Coltrane. Now that I have your attention, dig what this talented L.A. producer is laying down. 1983 is a rare species of cosmic underground hip-hop. Flying Lotus combines Madlib's affinity for jazzy arrangements and chord progressions, Nobody's and Daedelus' psychedelic textural proclivities, and J Dilla's economical, dusted funkiness. Further, the supremely rich and unusual tones Flying Lotus creates suggest that his great-aunt's musical talent has seeped into his own brain. Fans of innovative instrumental hip-hop are all the richer for that fortuitous skill transference.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player