Flying Lotus 1983
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Plug Research
Flying Lotus is the great-nephew of the sainted Alice Coltrane. Now that I have your attention, dig what this talented L.A. producer is laying down. 1983 is a rare species of cosmic underground hip-hop. Flying Lotus combines Madlib's affinity for jazzy arrangements and chord progressions, Nobody's and Daedelus' psychedelic textural proclivities, and J Dilla's economical, dusted funkiness. Further, the supremely rich and unusual tones Flying Lotus creates suggest that his great-aunt's musical talent has seeped into his own brain. Fans of innovative instrumental hip-hop are all the richer for that fortuitous skill transference.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player