Flying Lotus Los Angeles
One sign of a great beatsmith is when his compositions inspire you to forget about any daily stress and just get lifted away. Such is the case with Flying Lotus and his absorbing sophomore LP (and first for Warp), Los Angeles. There’s little doubt that trendy clothing chains will be using this stellar album for background music, but these instrumentals represent true forward-thinking headphone hip-hop with the off-kilter yet sturdy drums, a wide range of collaged cosmic samples, and just enough silky vocal contributions. Flying Lotus is best here at creating celestial sounds (“Beginners Falafel,” “Golden Diva”) though when he opts to crank up the bpms up and get glitchy (“GNG BNG”) he doesn’t disappoint.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player