Flying Lotus Los Angeles
One sign of a great beatsmith is when his compositions inspire you to forget about any daily stress and just get lifted away. Such is the case with Flying Lotus and his absorbing sophomore LP (and first for Warp), Los Angeles. There’s little doubt that trendy clothing chains will be using this stellar album for background music, but these instrumentals represent true forward-thinking headphone hip-hop with the off-kilter yet sturdy drums, a wide range of collaged cosmic samples, and just enough silky vocal contributions. Flying Lotus is best here at creating celestial sounds (“Beginners Falafel,” “Golden Diva”) though when he opts to crank up the bpms up and get glitchy (“GNG BNG”) he doesn’t disappoint.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player