Flying Lotus Los Angeles
One sign of a great beatsmith is when his compositions inspire you to forget about any daily stress and just get lifted away. Such is the case with Flying Lotus and his absorbing sophomore LP (and first for Warp), Los Angeles. There’s little doubt that trendy clothing chains will be using this stellar album for background music, but these instrumentals represent true forward-thinking headphone hip-hop with the off-kilter yet sturdy drums, a wide range of collaged cosmic samples, and just enough silky vocal contributions. Flying Lotus is best here at creating celestial sounds (“Beginners Falafel,” “Golden Diva”) though when he opts to crank up the bpms up and get glitchy (“GNG BNG”) he doesn’t disappoint.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player