FOLD Slime EP
ManMakeMusic's second release of the year comes from Londoner Rob Glassett (a.k.a FOLD), a producer best known as one half of rising deep-house duo Homepark. It marks Glassett's first proper solo release and sees him stepping away from his house roots, albeit only slightly, to experiment with the more melodic ends of late-night techno.
That said, nothing here is exactly a massive departure from either Glassett's past output or ManMakeMusic's discography to date. With its icy, repetitive synth stabs and slow-building kick-and-hi-hat beat, "Slime" is perhaps the most drawn-out, minimal thing the label has released—although it still features the same rich vein of melody that the imprint has come to be known for. Style aside, once the track reaches its peak, it's utterly infectious; the sharp chords of the intro eventually give way to a driving synth pulse, and as the drums build out into crisp claps and a rolling background tom pattern, "Slime" expands into a gorgeous piece of late-night dance music. By contrast, "Moving Patterns" sees Glassett step back into full-blown house territory. Based around a classic, shuffling NY garage rhythm, the track is a swirling, rich, and fairly deep tune in the same vein as ManMakeMusic label boss George FitzGerald's best work.
For the final track of the EP, fellow Londoner Tim Hopgood (a.k.a Ethyl) offers up a peculiar yet entirely likeable rework of the a-side. For his version, Hopgood strips the track of its tech-leaning percussion and instead constructs a drum beat out of what sounds like an amalgamation of toy keyboard noises and old jungle samples. The result is a lovely, old-school-leaning cut that replaces the slow-burning quality of Glassett's original with a warm, lo-fi depth. It rounds-off Slime nicely, cementing the EP as yet another enjoyable package from a label that has quickly established itself as a mark of quality.
- NewsCheck Out Caribou's 'Essential Mix' for BBC Radio 1
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsStream a New Track from Om Unit's Upcoming EP for Metalheadz
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player