Friedman & Liebezeit Secret Rhythms 3
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Nonplace
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Cologne psychedelia spans four decades, and it shows no sign of aging. Case in point: the third collaboration between electronic jazz experimenter Burnt Friedman and Can’s much-worshipped drummer Jaki Liebezeit, who belies his 70 years of age. Liebezeit anchors ethno-delic grooves with kick-drum and clockwork tom-tom rhythms while Friedman mutates acoustic guitar riffs, DSP tweaks, gongs, and brass riffs that all slash the canvas in cubist strokes, as heard best on “Gegenwart.” Not everything works, such as the jarring steel drums that spoil the otherwise fascinating acoustic-techno excursion “Entsafter.” But at their peak, the duo’s rhythms interlock in a deft precision that eerily recalls Can masterworks. One of this year’s best surprises.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
XLR8R Downloads Player