Friedman & Liebezeit Secret Rhythms 3
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Nonplace
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Cologne psychedelia spans four decades, and it shows no sign of aging. Case in point: the third collaboration between electronic jazz experimenter Burnt Friedman and Can’s much-worshipped drummer Jaki Liebezeit, who belies his 70 years of age. Liebezeit anchors ethno-delic grooves with kick-drum and clockwork tom-tom rhythms while Friedman mutates acoustic guitar riffs, DSP tweaks, gongs, and brass riffs that all slash the canvas in cubist strokes, as heard best on “Gegenwart.” Not everything works, such as the jarring steel drums that spoil the otherwise fascinating acoustic-techno excursion “Entsafter.” But at their peak, the duo’s rhythms interlock in a deft precision that eerily recalls Can masterworks. One of this year’s best surprises.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player