Frivolous Midnight Black Indulgence
- Words: Doug Morton
- Label: ~scape
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Decadent and enchanting, Midnight Black Indulgence weaves a nocturnal narrative with chapters spanning the emotional and stylistic gamut. Gardner's virulent 4/4 tech-house minimalisms twist and bump on tracks like "Sooo Savey" and "Forget the Funk," but it's the sleek, scat-jazz allure of "The Long Way" and the opiate-like "Abandoned Earth" that indicate the depth of his mastery. Textural subtleties and lightly swirled melancholy are interlaced throughout the album, bringing out a richness in character rarely achieved by many outside of Matthew Herbert or Luciano. The title says it all.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player