Frivolous Midnight Black Indulgence
- Words: Doug Morton
- Label: ~scape
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Decadent and enchanting, Midnight Black Indulgence weaves a nocturnal narrative with chapters spanning the emotional and stylistic gamut. Gardner's virulent 4/4 tech-house minimalisms twist and bump on tracks like "Sooo Savey" and "Forget the Funk," but it's the sleek, scat-jazz allure of "The Long Way" and the opiate-like "Abandoned Earth" that indicate the depth of his mastery. Textural subtleties and lightly swirled melancholy are interlaced throughout the album, bringing out a richness in character rarely achieved by many outside of Matthew Herbert or Luciano. The title says it all.
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- MP3Chrissy Murderbot "Alright (Calculon & Austin Speed Remix)"
- MP3Terrell "Werk That"
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player