Frivolous Midnight Black Indulgence
- Words: Doug Morton
- Label: ~scape
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Decadent and enchanting, Midnight Black Indulgence weaves a nocturnal narrative with chapters spanning the emotional and stylistic gamut. Gardner's virulent 4/4 tech-house minimalisms twist and bump on tracks like "Sooo Savey" and "Forget the Funk," but it's the sleek, scat-jazz allure of "The Long Way" and the opiate-like "Abandoned Earth" that indicate the depth of his mastery. Textural subtleties and lightly swirled melancholy are interlaced throughout the album, bringing out a richness in character rarely achieved by many outside of Matthew Herbert or Luciano. The title says it all.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player