- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: !K7
Michael Fakesch and Chris De Luca first released records of banging acid techno before mellowing out into a hauntingly effective, Autechre-influenced IDM/broken beat/hip-hop-inflected spin cycle that has seen them being credited as a formative link to Prefuse 73. Disconnected finds Funkstàrung flirting with more populist pastures via traditional instrumentation, including live drums and cello, as well as utilizing intricate programming to alter a wealth of syrupy singer-songwriter vocals. Not surprisingly, though, the two tracks featuring Brooklyn MC Tes are standouts-even as Funkstàrung strives to expand their sound, it's when they indulge their hip-hop influences that they excel.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player